Thursday, June 23, 2011

I broke my cardinal rule

For those who know me, they know my cardinal rule is keep it simple. There are many sub-rules such as:

1. No embossing
2. No cutting
3. Do not ever use glue because it is messy sticky stuff that gets everywhere and makes your fingers stick to everything

Those cover just about any circumstance, but the keep it simple part generally covers it all.

I hate glue (can you tell??) and I'm too lazy to emboss and I am cutting challenged. So, really, the rules are out of necessity.

That said, I created a layout the other day that broke my cardinal rule about keeping it simple. I was doing a Santa layout for Nathalie and my new Cricut cartridge (Life's a Party) had a Santa you could cut out. It looked cute and it seemed like such a good idea at the time. Well, to make that work, you need to cut out 455646546 different layers and make sure the cardstock all goes together. Then you need to piece it all together and glue it down. Major infraction of the rule.

Of course, once I started, I wanted to see if I could in fact do it and I did and I actually kind of like how it turned out. I have all these Cricut Cartridges and mostly just use them for letters which is a bit of a waste. So, I am going to try to cut out other things too and actually get some good use out of them. But I'm going to have to wrestle all of that with the cardinal rule. It might just need some adapting.

No comments:

Post a Comment