Sunday, November 21, 2010

Colour Wheel

I have to start by saying thank you to all the people who have mentioned to me that they enjoy reading my blog. I was at stamping (PMS - Pretty Mean Stampers) on Friday and was floored by the number of people who mentioned that they liked reading what I wrote and seeing what I posted. I know it gets mundane to post comments and such which I totally understand, so it was nice to hear in person that people are enjoying this venture of mine.

It's funny, though, as I've been talking quite a bit lately about the scrapbook kits. And while not a traditional kit in that the layout isn't already set out, these kits are still great because as I've mentioned before, everything matches and goes together. I've been ordering them for awhile as they are making my scrapbook life easier and quicker (which I definitely need!). I need to order in twos though, so I have been trying to sell off the other set. Well, I took all my extra sets to PMS and they were all gone. So, I guess people are reading! There will be definitely more coming in the future though as I have decided this is the way to go for the next little while until I can get more caught up.

Here is a really quick layout I did a week or so ago. I am getting a bit tired of the same old dark "boy" colours as I'm working on Eric's book. I had these two pictures and choose olive green and navy blue (I know - big surprise, huh?). I need a small dash of a third colour and had no idea what to add. I checked out my colour wheel (I actually have a bit of a different one and it shows me the colour options next to each other rather than having to look all around the colour wheel on a traditional one, but more about that later). Well, it showed me a blue, green, purple combination which I would have never pulled out of my head. I did it and loved it.


It's a very simple layout on white cardstock. I cut 3 medium squares and 3 small ones and ran them through different Cuttlebug folders (Navy - Argyle, Green - Seeing Spots, Purple - Clockworks) and added them as filler. The rest was pretty straight forward. But when I finished it, I loved how it turned out. Of course, the picture doesn't really show the purple very well, but I challenge you to try that combination - green, blue & purple.

As for the book. I bought this a few years ago, but I found it on Amazon.ca. It's by Memory Makers and it goes through and explains all the different types of colour relationships (monochromatic, diad, triad etc). It's fabulous as each relationship is a new chapter and they have a ton of examples of layouts done with these type of relationships. And it included a colour wheel. You choose a colour (let's say green), and it shows you all the different colour relationships in little squares. It's hard to explain, but fabulous! The one I found on Amazon has a different cover than my book, but I think it's the same book as it's the same publisher and same title.

No comments:

Post a Comment