Tuesday, November 23, 2010

This one's for Heather ...

Last June, I took a class from Els Van de Burgt owner of Elizabeth Craft Designs which was fabulous. It involved a lot of glitter, which isn't normally my thing, since, well, it's messy and takes a long time. She did this one demo, though, that completely sucked me in.

We took a peel off (her designs are gorgeous) and placed it on a piece of Sookwang Tape (also known as Scor-Tape or Be Creative Tape) which was on cardstock. We poured the warm or cool highlites glitter all over and it stuck to the background. Then we coloured with Bic Permanent Markers and an Alcohol Ink Pen filled with Blender Solution. The results were so gorgeous and what I loved is you could have all sorts of different colours of glitter without messing around (and needing) all sorts of colours.

I don't have a lot of peel offs, but I was thinking I might be able to make it work with cut outs from my Cricut. I used the Picturesque cartridge which Jackie Smith (check out her gorgeous blog) thankfully convinced me to order. The lines are thicker, but I still think the result is gorgeous. And what is really cool is I can cut them out to be whatever size I want which is very appealing.

I took the stuff out to the PMS (Pretty Mean Stampers) retreat and played. They turned out gorgeous!! I was colouring them and cutting them out while chatting with Heather Kuchma who convinced me to take it one step further and instead of adhering the butterfly right onto the cardstock or background, she had me adhere it to a transparency so I could curl the wings and make it 3D. It turned out fabulous and I was sold.

I do think that next time, I'll adhere the whole sheet to the transparency first and then cut everything out to save time and hopefully make them a bit easier to cut.

The background was done with the Distress Ink/Cuttlebug technique from a few posts ago. Check out Technique Junkies for a detailed tutorial on that and tons of other great techniques.


1 comment: