Friday, October 15, 2010

A new baby

My brother and his wife had a new baby boy this morning. I used it as an excuse to go to my craft room and stamp instead of cleaning the kitchen and working. I thought it was a valid excuse.

While I've been scrapbooking a bit lately, I haven't felt overly creative. I've been copying layouts and pulling ideas from magazines. It always takes me a little while to be able to just create something on my own. I jumped that hurdle today though. It wasn't the most brilliant card, but I worked through the issues I had as I was making it and not quite liking "something."

I started with the white paper and stamped "Samuel" across the bottom with a Fancy Pants alphabet set I have using Blue Iris chalk ink. Then I stamped the baby stamp (Inkadinkado) on white cardstock with Blue Iris ink. I embossed some blue Core'dinations paper with big dots and then sanded it. But when I put it together, it was still missing something. I used my little Tim Holtz distressing tool and it helped, but it wasn't enough. So, I pulled out my Distress-It-All tool and went hard distressing the edges and then I loved it. Well, maybe not loved it, but liked it well enough to give it away.

If you haven't played with the Distress-It-All, it's quite cool. I love that distressed look, but it takes forever with the little mini tool. My friend, Jacqueline, told me to get the DIA and so I added it to one of my orders. It's so quick and easy and does a fantastic job. I don't know that I would have splurged on it, but I'm so glad that I have it now. I used it on my calendar pages (I'll post my page after I get the calendars all bound and distributed). It was so quick and easy and I found that I'm really liking that look right now.

I was lucky today because my sister came over and we scrapbooked for a bit too. I even created a layout without looking for inspiration in a magazine. I'll possibly post pictures of that tomorrow.

So, Happy Birthday to my new nephew, Samuel Louis (Louis was my grandfather's name). And here is the card I made for him.

1 comment: