Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Shimmer Flower

I had a fantastic demo night and we got to play with a new technique. As I mentioned the other day, the technique is from The Technique Junkies. If you do not subscribe to this newsletter, I highly recommend it; it's fantastic!

It was really my intention to post a new sample each day leading up to Thursday, but I didn't get the time to make that many samples until I forced myself to on Thursday afternoon. I had started working on one card the day I did my first sample, but I couldn't do anything to finish it so I liked it. So, I walked away and came back to it. Then I had a bunch of ideas and it worked out. But that card will be later (it's the Asian one if you're looking for it to come).

I did make this sample which was my favorite. It's quite simple, but that's what I end up liking the best.


I created the shimmer background along the bottom of the card with Lumiere Paint and Distress Reinkers. I love the Distress Inks because you can do so much with them. They are meant to be used with water and not break down which is so cool. As well, I love that I can do so many things with the reinkers other than just reinking my pads. Anyway, you just need regular (read cheap) white cardstock, Lumiere Paint, Distress reinkers (1 or 2 coordinating colours), a water spritzer, non stick craft sheet and a cheap sponge (I cut them up, use a small chunk and then throw it out - I don't clean).

Pour a small line of Lumiere Paint on your non stick craft sheet (I actually use a popsicle stick to do this). Put 2-3 drops of one colour of Distress ink along one side of the line and the same of the second colour (if desired) along the other side of the line. Spritz with water and then sponge onto your cardstock. It dries fairly quickly since everything is water based. And you have a custom shimmer background. And because you've used Distress reinkers, it's easy to coordinate your stamping.

For this card, I cut out flowers using Tim Holtz' Tattered Florals Die. I did one in white cardstock and one in acetate. I did the shimmer technique on both and overstamped them with Chalk Ink (on the acetate since I needed a permanent ink) and Distress on the cardstock (easy to coordinate that way).

No comments:

Post a Comment