Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tuxedo is the New Black

I'm always on a quest for the best black ink. I have a ton of variety: Staz On, Ancient Page, Versafine, Document, Memories ...

I think I like them, but really I don't. I'm fickle or picky I guess. I like my black to be, well, black. Really, really black. Not like it has already faded just after I stamped it black.

I don't really like Staz On. And it has a funny smell which I can't decide whether I love or I hate. I didn't really like Memories either, although I have no concrete reason why.

Currently, my go to black ink is Versafine Onyx Black. It is the blackest ink I've found. But you have to heat set it which is a pain. And I find it doesn't work really great on vellum and really slick surfaces since it is so wet. For that I've been using Ancient Page: Coal Black which has been pretty good and mostly lived up to my very high expectations. Which is why I was really disappointed to find out that I can't get reinkers for it anymore. Why not, I have no idea? Has Clearsnap discontinued it? Must be since my distributor carries the whole Clearsnap line, so I can't see them saying that they aren't going to stock their most popular reinker. Regardless of the reason, I was very sad.

So the search was on to replace my well-used Coal Black inkpad.

I have had a few customers order the Memento: Tuxedo Black ink pads and I thought I'd give it a try.

I love it. It's so black and it dries right away. Even on glossy cardstock. I've decided it is my new Go To Black!

Here is a card I made for my class today. Everything is stamped in the Tuxedo Black ink and it worked so well. I love it.


Of course, in the scan, it doesn't show up as dark, but you'll just have to take my word for it that it is the blackest black!

Update: I asked my distributor about the Ancient Page ink and they said that they have stopped carrying it due to slow sales. So, while not actually discontinued, if I can't get a reinker, then it might as well be discontinued to me. I'm really glad that I found another nice black.

2 comments:

  1. I have two go-to black inks.... Tuxedo Memento Black and Versafine Onyx Black.... Versafine I use if I'm not using my Copics, if I'm stamping a sentiment or anything else that is detailed. I use the Memento if I'm using my Copics or stamping on anything that is more slick of a surface.

    I prefer the Versafine as the ink is thinner (I think) which allows more detail to pop out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy. I was really impressed with the Memento and I love my Versafine (except I hate having to heat set it, but sometimes I just deal with it anyway). It's nice to have a couple of options. I liked my Ancient Page most of the time, but sometimes it didn't even seem black enough for me. I did just find out that the Coal Black isn't discontinued, but my distributor has stopped carrying that line due to poor sales. So, if I can't get the reinker, it might as well be discontinued for me.

    ReplyDelete